Publication and Citation of Scientific Data at WDCC
Publication and Citation of Scientific Primary Data (STD-DOI) is a project funded by the German Science Foundation. Its aim is to make primary scientific data citeable as publications. In this system, a data experiment would be attributed to its investigators as authors like it would be done for a work in the conventional scientific literature. Thus, scientific primary data should not exclusively understood as part of a scientific publication, but may have its own identity.
2.Work flow of Publication
The following process will take approximately one month from the request of publication up to the DOI publication in TIB order:
3.Short introduction in xml-template for DOI registration and publication of primary data
The scientist who is attending a publication of primary data ( DOI Contact) obtains from the WDCC a xml-template with corresponding java based interface. Xml-template has to be started with 'java XFormApplet' and obtains request about metadata of the experiment, metadata of datasets as well as instructions how to create graphics from the primary data to proof the quality by taking samples of the data. The WDCC will advise the data user making a peer review.
In the xml-template there are required fields e.g. author, title and the experiment size.
The following part gives a short overview of the three subforms of the xml-template. Exact handling instructions are described in every field:
- Metadata Experiment: Information about the experiment parameter (e.g. experiment size, spatial and temporal coverage) as well as experiment summary and project description.
- Metadata Datasets: Here every dataset who belongs to the experiment has to be reviewed while checking the topic and unit.
- Datasets: Check of downloads of datasets, generate and check plots of Minimum-Maximum time series, select parameters for 2-dimensional plots and create a plot.
4. About CERA2 data base
The CERA2 data base has been designed to enable intercharge meta information on geo-referenced data via internet interface. Additional to the metadata information the interface enables the user to download data sets directly to a local disk. A user account is requried to download the data sets. The user account can be obtained from WDC-Climate, data(at)dkrz.de.
5. Publication in TIB Hannover
Primary data which were provided with a persistant identifier are registrated at the German National Library of Science and Technology, TIB Hannover. This registration agency are associated the following publication agents: GFZ, MARUM/AWI, WDC-Climate, WDC-RSAT/DLR.
The TIB Hannover belongs to a worldwide net of registration agencies and the global organization is the International DOI Foundation.
6. Links to Further Information
Links to more detailed information about publication and citation of scientific primary data, CERA2 data base and software.
- An overview of concept and status of STD-DOI can be obtained from the presentation at the AGU Fall Meeting 2005.
- International DOI Foundation: IDF
- Find more information about STD-DOI on their website: STD-DOI
- Entrance and information of the data base: CERA WWW-Gateway
- The Entry for Diagnostic and Visualization: Postprocessing
- World Data Center for Climate: WDCC